2021 KLF-Getz Pharma Prize for Best Fiction

My dashing cousin Momin Zafar receiving the prize on my behalf! 



For those wishing to hear the announcement, a link to the recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvdiwEwMvZQ (The magic happens around 1: 21). Congratulations to the winners in all categories. 

Around 1: 43, I come on video to give my thanks, but the sound fluctuates, so I'll say it again: The Miraculous True History of Nomi Ali took forever to write (26 + years). I'm still in happy disbelief that Nomi, my prisoner, Zee, Aye, and the other characters are out in the world, moving across borders (unlike their life in 1930s & 40s lockdown in the book, unlike their maker in 2021), and securing new shelters. Warmest gratitude to the festival, sponsor, and judges.

A shout out too to readers for helping to keep our stories alive--stories of brown bodies, by brown bodies--and to the kind man who didn't want to be named in the video but who stayed up late in Karachi to record it when I had a tiny window between Zoom meetings in Massachusetts. 

I can't wait to meet the world without a screen. 💛

No comments: