NOMI Wins!!!

So grateful to the judges for selecting The Miraculous True History of Nomi Ali as the winner of the 9th UBL Literary Awards, English Language Fiction category. And many thanks to visitors reading my blog for sharing this with me! 

As you might remember, though Nomi is my fifth and most recent novel, it was 26 + years in the making. So I've held it longer than any other book. I've been asked how I slipped back into it after immersing myself in my other novels absolutely no less. The simple answer is love. Characters are held with love, or they leave. 

The novel, set in the 1930s and 40s, has come into the world at a time when there's still a terrible battle underway between right-wing ideologies. And the world is saying Enough. We need the past reframed by those denied the power to tell our stories, and we need our stories to travel. We also need our stories to find shelter: in collective memory. Only then can the healing begin. Every reader becomes part of the sheltering and healing process. Thank you to the organization for recognizing this.



Many congratulations to the winners in all the categories. You can read more about us here: https://thefrontierpost.com/ubl-announces-winners-of-9th-ubl-literary-awards/

No comments: